About NYC VISTA
NYC VISTA members will serve at New York City government agencies, primarily focused on the impact areas of economic opportunity and education, to address critical city issues related to poverty. NYC VISTA member activities include community awareness and engagement, financial resources, partnership expansion and development, outreach strategy development, volunteer engagement, program development and delivery, technology use, event planning and management, and performance measurement.
Administration for Children Services, Center for Economic Opportunity, Corporation for National and Community Service, Department of Education, Human Resources Administration, Mayor’s Office of Immigrant Affairs
- Modest, monthly living allowance:
- NYC VISTA members: $1,276 per month pre-tax
- NYC VISTA Leader: $1,476 per month pre-tax (Note: VISTA Leaders must have completed one year of National Service.)
- Unlimited Monthly MetroCard
- Choice of Segal AmeriCorps Education Award of $5,815 or end-of-service cash stipend of $1,500
- VISTA Pre-Service Orientation (PSO), On-Site Orientation and Training (OSOT), and ongoing professional development
- Limited health care benefits
- Relocation assistance
- Student-loan forbearance or deferment
- Non-competitive eligibility for a federal government position
- Childcare assistance, if qualified
For specific information about VISTA benefits, visit the VISTA Campus.
NYC VISTA applicants must:
- be U.S. Citizens, U.S. Nationals or lawful permanent residents
- have completed Bachelor's degree before start of the program
- consent to National Service Criminal History Check
- be able to serve full-time for 365 days*
*Note updated policy: As of May 3, 2015 VISTA Members and Leaders may hold legal part-time employment that is unrelated to their assigned project and that does not interfere with their service or service hours. To learn more, visit the VISTA Campus.
In addition to the above, NYC VISTA Leader applicants must:
- Have completed at least one year of National service