THE 2016-2017 NYC CITY SERVICE CORPS APPLICATION IS NOW OPEN! CLICK HERE TO APPLY. PRIORITY DEADLINE IS JUNE 30TH.
*Note: Please use Internet Explorer to complete the application for best user experience. Other browsers such as Google Chrome, Firefox, and Safari may give you errors during the application.
The City Service Corps, a new NYC Service AmeriCorps program in partnership with the United Way of New York City and Service Year Alliance, unites a diverse group of professionals to serve full-time for 10 months at City agencies and their partner nonprofit organizations, working to address community needs. The inaugural Corps launched with close to 60 members on November 9, 2015 and added an additional 30 members in March 2016.
All New Yorkers who are passionate about making a difference in our City are encouraged to apply for the second class of City Service Corps which begins in September 2016. Applications are now open. Please click on the following link to apply. Please see position descriptions at right to learn more about specific positions.
City Service Corps Member Benefits:
- Monthly living stipend of approximately $1,250 (pre-tax)
- Basic medical plan will be available at no cost to corps members
- Segal AmeriCorps Education Award upon completion of the program, if eligible
- Child care voucher (if income eligible)
- Student loan forbearance or deferment on eligible loans while in service, if eligible
- Monthly professional development activities, led by CUNY
- Experience working in City government and with NYC nonprofit organizations
- Professional networking opportunities with City and civic leaders
- Valuable resume-building experience
- Members serve in a full time capacity for 10 months.
- City Service Corps members interview and are placed at City agency partners (and some at nonprofit host sites connected to their City agency) where the interest level in the program and experience of the applicant matches the needs of the project at hand
- Projects are all designed to positively impact the citizens of New York City in two main areas: education and economic & community empowerment
Corps Member Responsibilities:
- Assist host site in implementing projects to address some of our City’s greatest challenges as outlined in the host site’s specific project description
- Assignments may include community engagement events, communications, and project management
- Participate in City-sponsored and host site service projects, and national days of service
Professional Development and Community Building:
- Led by CUNY, attend orientation during the first week of the program which covers topics such as AmeriCorps policies and procedures, project management, and City government
- Monthly skill building and professional development seminars occur throughout the term of service which cover topic areas such as project management, goal setting, building your “brand”, interview preparation and financial literacy
- Periodic social activities to build community and encourage cross-site networking
- Career-building opportunities during and upon completion of the program
City Service Corps Member Specifics:
- Must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or Lawful Permanent Resident Alien of the United States
- Have successfully attained the level of degree specified in the job posting (high school diploma or college degree)
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check
- Ability to serve full time for the program term (*Full time indicates generally M-F 9am-5pm)
Applications for the 2016-2017 corps are open now. Please click the following link to apply.
For Further Information:
Call (212) 788-3209 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any additional questions.
The launch of City Service Corps is made possible by the generous support of: American Express Foundation, CSX Transportation, Citi Foundation, Disney, Laurie M. Tisch Illumination Fund, Lizzie & Jonathan M. Tisch Family Foundation, The New York Community Trust, and UJA-Federation of New York.