About This Initiative
NYC °CoolRoofs is an exciting collaboration between NYC Service and the NYC Department of Buildings to promote and facilitate the cooling of New York City’s rooftops. Applying a reflective surface to a roof helps reduce cooling costs, cut energy usage and lower greenhouse gas emissions. Join us as we coat New York City rooftops to make a greener, greater New York! The program supports New York City’s goal to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 30 percent by 2030, as outlined in PlaNYC—the City’s comprehensive sustainability plan.
Urban Heat Mitigation
New volunteer opportunities for Urban Heat Mitigation will be identified as part of a citywide energy and sustainability strategy.
COOL ROOFS ACCOMPLISHMENTS
5,753,569 sq. ft of rooftop coated
5,614 volunteers engaged
2,077,537 sq. ft. of rooftop coated (record number!)
1,138 volunteers engaged
1,195,091 sq. ft. of rooftop coated
1,417 volunteers engaged
1,307,572 sq. ft. of rooftop coated
1,239 volunteers engaged
1,173,369 sq. ft. of rooftop coated
1,820 volunteers engaged
BENEFITS OF COOL ROOFS
- Reduce The Urban Heat Island Effect: Cool roofs reduce the urban heat island effect by reflecting the sun’s heat and could reduce the City’s temperature by up to 1°F.
- Reduce Peak Load Energy Demand: A reduction of 1°F can significantly reduce peak energy demand, considerably reducing the risk of brownouts and blackouts.
- Improved Environmental Quality: Reduce smog by lowering temperatures and energy demand.
- Energy Cost Savings: On summer days, air conditioning can account for approximately 40% of daily electricity use. White coatings can reduce these costs by 10–30% on average.
- Cost Savings from Reduced Energy Demand: White rooftops can reduce the temperature of a roof by 30 °F. Reduced temperatures from white roofs could result in as much as 50% savings on air conditioning costs in a 1-story building and 10% savings in a 5-story building.
- Cost Savings from Reduced Maintenance: Roofs will last longer due to less heat damage. Air Conditioner units will operate more efficiently and last longer.
Complete the the volunteer interest form.
°COOL IT YOURSELF
SUGGEST A ROOF
Learn more about building eligiblity requirements for coating and suggest a roof.
If your company is interested in sponsoring Cool Roofs through a service day, contact:
Kaitlin Tyler, Partnerships Director