About the Initiative
NYC °CoolRoofs is an exciting collaboration between NYC Service and the NYC Department of Buildings to promote and facilitate the cooling of New York City’s rooftops. Applying a reflective surface to a roof helps reduce cooling costs, cut energy usage and lower greenhouse gas emissions. Join us as we coat New York City rooftops to make a greener, greater New York! The program supports New York City’s goal to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 30 percent by 2030, as outlined in PlaNYC—the City’s comprehensive sustainability plan.
Interested in volunteering for a coating day? Complete the volunteer interest form to get started.
COLLECTIVE BENEFITS OF COOL ROOFS
- Reduce The Urban Heat Island Effect; Cool roofs reduce the urban heat island effect by reflecting the sun’s heat and could reduce the City’s temperature by up to 1°F.
- Reduce Peak Load Energy Demand; A reduction of 1°F can significantly reduce peak energy demand, considerably reducing the risk of brownouts and blackouts.
- Improved Environmental Quality; Reduce smog by lowering temperatures and energy demand.
- Energy Cost Savings; On summer days, air conditioning can account for approximately 40% of daily electricity use. White coatings can reduce these costs by 10–30% on average.
INDIVIDUAL BENEFITS OF COOL ROOFS
- Cost Savings from Reduced Energy Demand; White rooftops can reduce the temperature of a roof by 30 °F. Reduced temperatures from white roofs could result in as much as 50% savings on air conditioning costs in a 1-story building and 10% savings in a 5-story building.
- Cost Savings from Reduced Maintenance; Roofs will last longer due to less heat damage. Air Conditioner units will operate more efficiently and last longer.
In just two coating seasons, NYC Cool Roofs has coated 2.5 million square feet of rooftop. Thank you to all the volunteers who gave their time to meet this ambitious goal!
If you are interested in participating during the 2012 coating season, please complete the the volunteer interest form to get started. If you have questions about, please contact NYC Service at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about whether your building is eligible for coating or to suggest a roof, complete this form.
If your company is interested in sponsoring Cool Roofs through a service day, contact: Wendy Dessy, NYC Service
If you are interested in becoming a sponsor of the NYC °Cool Roofs program, contact:
Jenny Sharfstein, Mayor’s Fund to Advance NYC