2015 Grant Winners Announced
Congratulations to the 25 neighborhood groups selected to participate in this year's Love Your Block Award program! The list of grantees can be found in the "Related Docs" section or by scrolling to the end of this page.
About This Initiative
Love Your Block (LYB) is a special partnership between NYC Service and Citizens Committee for New York City that provides a unique opportunity for City residents to transform and beautify their neighborhoods while leveraging City services. Resident-led volunteer groups (grantees) receive a grant of up to $1,000 to transform a city block.
LYB grantees receive project-planning and community-building assistance, as well as assistance with local media coverage for the project.
Additionally, LYB grantees are able to receive facilitated access to services provided by the NYC Department of Parks and Recreation, NYC Department of Transportation, and Department of Sanitation of New York to help improve their block.
Past LYB grantees have received assistance with City services, including, but not limited to: trash collection, vacant lot cleanup, graffiti removal, dead tree removal, tree planting, providing woodchip mulch for gardening projects, repair of and installation of street signs and street lights, traffic safety surveys, and more.
The specific goals of the initiative are:
- To encourage tenant, block, and civic associations throughout the five boroughs to engage their members in an organized, one-day event held between April 18, 2015 and June 28, 2015, that aims to beautify their block.
- To support and provide resources in the form of a cash grant to associations.
- To bring relevant City services that will support the efforts of each association.
2014 - 2015 Love Your Block Award Winners
- Boston Road Tenants Association – Morrisania
- Bryant Hill Community Garden – Hunts Point
- S.O.W. – Hunts Point
- Schomburg Garden Committee – Morrisania
- Women of Woodlawn – Woodlawn
- 27th Street Block Association – Sunset Park
- Coney Island Beautification Project – Coney Island
- Crown Street Block Association – Crown Heights
- La Casita Verde – East Williamsburg
- P.S. 188 - Micheal E. Berdy School for the Arts – Coney Island
- 345 Montgomery Owners Corp – Crown Heights
- Parents Association of P.S. 206 – Sheepshead Bay
- Poppa and Momma Jones' Historic Community Garden – East New York
- T & T Vernon Block Association – Bedford-Stuyvesant
- Tiff's GEMS – Ocean Hill/Brownsville
- Chencita's Community Garden – East Harlem
- Frederick E. Samuel Resident Association – Central Harlem
- International Healing Center – Washington Heights
- PTA of P.S. 361 - The Children's Workshop School – East Village
- Two Bridges Tower Tenants Association – Lower East Side
- Friends of Astoria Heights Park – Astoria
- Project Petals – Jamaica
- Smiling Hogshead Ranch – Long Island City
- H.E.A.L.T.H. for Youths – St. George
- Heberton Avenue Neighborhood Association – Port Richmond