About This Initiative
Love Your Block (LYB) is a special partnership between NYC Service and Citizens Committee for New York City that provides a unique opportunity for City residents to transform and beautify their neighborhoods while leveraging City services. Resident-led volunteer groups (grantees) receive a grant of up to $1,000 to transform a city block.
LYB grantees receive project-planning and community-building assistance, as well as assistance with local media coverage for the project.
Additionally, LYB grantees are able to receive "one-stop" access to services provided by the Department of Parks and Recreation, the Department of Transportation, and the Department of Sanitation of New York to help improve their block.
Past LYB grantees have received assistance with City services, including, but not limited to: trash collection, vacant lot cleanup, graffiti removal, dead tree removal, tree planting, providing woodchip mulch for gardening projects, repair of and installation of street signs and street lights, traffic safety surveys, and more.
The specific goals of the initiative are:
- To encourage tenant, block, and civic associations throughout the five boroughs to engage their members in an organized, one-day event held between April 19, 2014 and June 30, 2014, that aims to beautify their block.
- To support and provide resources in the form of a cash grant to associations.
- To bring relevant City services that will support the efforts of each association.
Participants will be supported by services coordinated by the Office of the Mayor, Department of Parks and Recreation, the Department of Transportation, and the Department of Sanitation of New York. City services may include, but are not limited to, the following.
- Providing trash collection for block projects
- Cleaning vacant lots
- Planting trees in empty beds
- Creating new tree beds
- Cleaning up illegal dumping
- Replacing broken or worn-out litter baskets
- Removing graffiti
- Conducting bike rack surveys
- Repairing damaged or missing street signage
- Loaning gardening tools
- Advertising projects to solicit additional volunteers
The following 25 organizations were awarded Love Your Block 2014 grants:
- Cruger & Mace Block Association
- Kelly Street Committee
- Kingsbridge-Riverdale Farmers Market and Community Garden
- Morning Glory Community Garden
- Mott Haven Merchants
- New Root Community Improvement Association
- Benson Avenue Block Association
- Crown Street Block Association
- GreenWorks Team
- Hancock Community Block Association
- L&S Jefferson Avenue Block Association
- Lincoln Road R&B Block Association
- New Voices Middle School of Academic & Creative Arts/M.S. 443 Parent Association (PA)
- 500 West 150th Street Block Association
- Frederick E. Samuel Resident Association
- Green Clean 118
- International Healing Center (IHC)
- Washington Heights Expeditionary Learning School’s Environmental Action Team
- Astoria Green Gardeners Association (AGGA)
- Rockaway Resilience Network
- Smiling Hogshead
- Sunnyside Arts & Youth Coalition
- H.E.A.L.T.H for Youths
- Midland Beach Civic Association
- New Brighton Coalition of Concerned Citizens