About the initiative
TimeBanksNYC is a city-wide network of neighbors helping neighbors. It is a way for people to share their skills, learn new ones, spread their passions and support their neighbors. For every hour that a TimeBanks member provides a service or shares a skill with another member, he or she earns a “time credit” for the exchange. This “time credit” can then be redeemed for a service from someone else in the network.
The TBNYC database offers members a clearinghouse of volunteer opportunities. Members can access the database, post individual service offers and requests or read the service exchanges posted by other members. TimeBanksNYC offers you an opportunity to help your community, save money, and meet new people.
TBNYC is part of NYC Service and Age-Friendly NYC. It is administered by the NYC Department for the Aging, in partnership with the Aging in New York Fund, Inc.
GOALS OF TIMEBANKSNYC
- Identify and develop the assets that NYC residents have to offer one another
- Promote skill sharing as a way of accessing services and support
- Provide a centralized database for individual members to manage and track their service exchange offers and requests
SERVICE EXCHANGE CATEGORIES
- Arts, Crafts, Music, and Recreation
- Business Services
- Community Services and Activities
- Computer and Internet Technology
- Education Workshops and Services
- Exercise and wellness
- Health Services and Support
- Home and Office Help
- Repair and Maintenance
- And much more...
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
For general information please visit: nyc.gov/timebanksnyc or call 311 and ask for TimeBanks
For information regarding upcoming in-person orientations and events:
Call the TimeBanks Helpline 212-227-7610 or visit the TimeBanks Facebook page.