Volunteer opportunity description
The Mayor’s Office of Immigrant Affairs (MOIA) promotes the well-being of immigrant communities by recommending policies and programs that facilitate successful integration of immigrant New Yorkers into the civic, economic, and cultural life of the City.
MOIA Community Volunteers are New Yorkers committed to MOIA’s mission to promote the well-being of immigrant communities. They volunteer as organizers, interpreters, and English language facilitators.
MOIA Community Volunteers are involved in a variety of MOIA initiatives including:
- IDNYC: Volunteers help New Yorkers get access to the largest municipal ID program in the country by making appointments and distributing materials at community events. Time commitment ranges from 1-3 events per month, events are usually 2-3 hours.
- We Are New York (WANY): Volunteers serve as trained language facilitators working in pairs to facilitate English Language classes using the 10-episode Emmy Award winning educational TV series, We Are New York. They typically serve 2 hours once a week for 10 weeks or 2 hours twice a week for 5 weeks.
- Special Events: Volunteers serve at various MOIA events as ushers, presenters, interpreters and coordinators. Upcoming events include Immigrant Heritage Week, Citizenship Week, etc. These events are usually 2 hours.
In addition to playing an invaluable role to MOIA’s programs and events, volunteers also receive other benefits from volunteering with MOIA including professional development through trainings and events; connections to community organizations, city agencies and other community members; and ability to participate in events with elected officials and other community leaders.
These volunteer programs support MOIA initiatives throughout the year. Programs have individual trainings and require volunteer support specific to the program. Volunteer opportunity times and locations are reliant on different volunteer initiatives. The chart below illustrates opportunity availability across different programs.
If you are interested in being a part of this program, please email MOIA-Volunteers@cityhall.nyc.gov or call 212-788-7654. In the email, please identify what volunteer opportunities interest you (IDNYC, WANY, ActionNYC, or Special Events).
- Has a strong commitment to MOIA’s initiatives and New York City’s immigrant communities;
- Has a professional demeanor;
- Has excellent interpersonal skills;
- Has an ability to engage, motivate, and inspire others;
- Has an ability and experience working with diverse individuals and communities;
- Has flexibility to work evenings and weekends;
- Speaking another language is a plus.
Our volunteer needs
We need volunteers who are free at these times