Volunteer opportunity description
The New York Asian Women’s Center (NYAWC) helps women and their children overcome domestic violence and other forms of abuse by empowering them to govern their own lives. NYAWC provides a safe haven through multi-lingual support programs and shelter services. In addition, NYAWC works to raise public awareness about violence against women, advocates for the rights of survivors, and acts as an agent of social change.
- Accompany DV survivors to public offices and court rooms to obtain entitlements, legal rights and DV related services
- Assist the survivors to communicate with public assistance officers, attorneys, housing brokers through interpretation and translation
- Report back to task supervisors the result of advocacy
- For students, this can be a non-credit unpaid internship
- Structured program with training and regularly scheduled on-going supervision
- Excellent practice and hands-on experience for people interested in working in the social services
- Travel expense of $4.5/per assignment will be provided
- Availability to conduct advocacy during business hours (between the hours of 9am to 5pm) during week days – flexibility necessary.
- Bilingual in English and another Asian languages (Mandarin, Cantonese, Korean, Hindi, Bengali or Urdu preferred)
Our volunteer needs
We need volunteers who are free at these times