Volunteer opportunity description
Chhaya seeks energetic volunteers to join our Community Organizing team. Volunteers will educate tenants about their rights, organize tenant associations in underserved communities, and establish programs to empower South Asian immigrants in Queens.
At Chhaya you will gain hands-on experience in grassroots community organizing and advocacy. Join Chhaya CDC to fight for housing justice!
• Engage in Chhaya’s direct organizing and outreach efforts through one-on-one engagement, phone calls, door-knocking, tabling and distributing educational materials;
• Build relationships with tenants and homeowners;
• Assist with membership engagement, organize membership events and activities;
• Participate in city-wide coalition efforts on housing rights and affordable housing.
• Language skills in English and a South Asian language (Bangla, Punjabi, Urdu or Hindi) strongly preferred;
• Commitment to immigrant and housing rights;
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
• Experience or willingness to work on base building, door knocking, and organizing.
Our volunteer needs
We need volunteers who are free at these times