This opportunity has expired.
Volunteer opportunity description
The Mayor's Office to Combat Domestic Violence (OCDV) formulates policies and programs; monitors the citywide delivery of domestic violence services; and works with diverse communities to increase awareness of domestic violence. OCDV works closely with community leaders, health care providers, City agencies and representatives from the criminal justice system to create solutions that are critical to preventing domestic violence in New York City.
The New York City Family Justice Center, Queens (QFJC), an initiative of the Mayor's Office to Combat Domestic Violence and the Queens County District Attorney's Office, offers coordinated services to domestic violence victims in one location.
The Client Care Services Volunteer will be assigned to the New York City Family Justice Center, Queens (QFJC).
Responsibilities may include:
- Providing support to QFJC partners and administrative staff: researching available community resources and programs, and data tracking.
- Assisting with community outreach including: coordinating and attending outreach and educational events in the Queens Community as a representative of the QFJC, disseminating educational materials and brochures, and conducting phone outreach.
- Assisting with upcoming programs and classes including: contacting clients and providing general program support as needed.
- Managing the waiting area and "hospitality suite" to ensure a warm and comforting environment for clients between appointments.
- Assisting with general administrative duties: such as answering phones, photocopying and scanning.
- Applicants should have experience working in a busy office environment and an interest in social work and civil legal advocacy.
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong communications skills, both verbal and written
- Computer skills: knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Bilingual English/Spanish candidates preferred.
The position requires a minimum of 3 to 8 hours/ week during business hours which may include evening hours and weekends. A commitment of six months or one semester is required.
All applicants must complete a mandatory orientation prior to volunteering at the QFJC.
Our volunteer needs
We need volunteers who are free at these times