Volunteer opportunity description
The American Italian Cancer Foundation's (AICF) mobile, no-cost Breast Cancer Screening Program serves economically disadvantaged and medically underserved women in New York City. AICF’s mobile clinic travels to neighborhoods throughout the five boroughs to provide mammograms, clinical breast exams, instruction in breast self exam, and educational materials to these women at no-cost to them.
AICF is looking for an Outreach and Health Education Intern to work with its mobile, no-cost Breast Cancer Screening Program. The Outreach and Health Education Intern will be responsible for conducting the following activities throughout NYC:
- Represents AICF at 4 health fairs per month
- Plans and carries out innovative recruitment strategies at health fairs
- Interacts with women at each health fair in order to recruit at least 15 medically underserved women for mammography screenings
- Educates women about breast health by conducting 4 educational workshops per month (at community-based organizations throughout NYC)
- Carries out minimal administrative duties as needed
To apply, send email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Outreach Intern” in the subject line.
Resumes without cover letters will not be accepted.
NO PHONE CALLS
Compensation: UNPAID, but travel reimbursed where appropriate
HOURS: minimum 10 hours per week
- MUST be fluent in English: bilingual preferred.
- MUST be able to commit a minimum of 10 hours per week
- A major in public health, social work, counseling, communications, or a related field preferred.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends
- Ability to travel independently throughout New York City
- Experience working with economically disadvantaged and/or medically underserved groups a plus.
Our volunteer needs
We need volunteers who are free at these times