Volunteer opportunity description
What is Young Women Rock!?
Young Women Rock! is dedicated to strengthening the lives and communities of young women in under-served neighborhoods through a sustainable curriculum-based, group and one-on-one mentorship program. The mentorship program provides young women with the resources and support necessary to make positive life choices and create community change. Young Women Rock! encourages and empowers young women to make informed and healthy decisions about their relationships, sexual health, future options, and broader women’s issues. To learn more about the program, please view our feature on MSNBC.
How does Young Women Rock! work?
Pairing group-based mentoring with one-on-one mentor/mentee relationships, Young Women Rock! helps young women build self-esteem and awareness to make healthy choices as they mature. Each Thursday, a group of mentors lead interactive, fun and educational sessions on issues that are important to young women. We invite guest speakers and lead dynamic workshops, as well as take the young women on a cultural outing once a month.
- Where does Young Women Rock! meet? Seth Low Community Center, 137 Belmont Avenue, Brooklyn, NY (near Sutter stop on L train and Junius stop on 3 train)
- When does Young Women Rock! meet? Thursdays from 3:30PM-6:00PM. Consistent attendance is essential. Many of these girls are used to adults being unreliable and non supportive. It is important that we are a stable, reliable and supportive part of their lives.
- How long does Young Women Rock! last? One academic year (starting Thursday, September 26th); You must be able to make this commitment.
- Female candidates
- Between 18 - 30 years old
- Currently hold or are pursuing a college degree
- Must be able to commit Thursday afternoons from 3:30 - 6:00 pm from September 2013-May 2014.
Review the eligibility requirements and submit your application by June 30, 2013.
Our volunteer needs
We need volunteers who are free at these times