This opportunity has expired.
Volunteer opportunity description
The YMCA of Greater New York reaches half a million New Yorkers through programs that focus on youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.
The YMCA of Greater NY is seeking volunteers, one hour per week, for our 10 week academies that introduce students to basic robotics, programming and movement using step-by-step instructions and multimedia lessons focused on science, technology, engineering and math.
Our next session begins in November 2012 and we are seeking volunteers to partner with a team of young people enrolled in this exciting program. The YMCA will provide training for volunteers without a robotics or engineering background.
Locations: Multiple Locations in Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn; Flushing, Queens and the South Bronx.
Hours: Bedford – Wednesdays @ 4pm to 6pm; Flushing – Saturday mornings; Bronx – Tuesday/Thursday @ 4 to 5:30pm
- Prepare for the after school activity by reviewing the appropriate STEM/Robotics curriculum materials.
- Provide mentorship and build positive, meaningful/ supportive relationships with the YMCA participants and other volunteers involved in the program.
- Background in robotics, mechanical engineering, or STEM education and/or a willingness to learn. Can include professional, school, or volunteer experience.
- Display a welcoming and inclusive behavior toward people of all ages, races, religions, cultures, abilities, sexual orientation, gender, educational and economic backgrounds.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Adhere to YMCA policies and regulations.
If you want to play a key role in the academic development of middle school students, please forward your resume and references firstname.lastname@example.org.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
Our volunteer needs
We need volunteers who are free at these times