Volunteer opportunity description
Volunteer Impact: Volunteers for the Teen Battle Chef/Look Who’s Cooking in both the Explorer (ages 6-9) and Junior (ages 10-13) Department will be responsible for assisting and supporting BCNY’s goal of teaching healthy lifestyles through activities designed to build knowledge of nutrition and healthy food alternatives. Topics will introduce members to seasonality and locality of foods, regions of the world where food is primarily grown and various cultures, while also having the opportunity to cook healthy meals and build their culinary skills. Volunteers will support the supervision and safety of members during cooking sessions/activities. They will serve as a role model for our youth by building rapport with members through positive interactions during program activities.
- Supervise and coordinate activities for members during the Teen Battle Chef/Look Who’s Cooking program.
- Support instruction of cooking techniques, presentation skills, nutrition, and healthy food alternatives.
- Provide guidance, problem-solving facilitation, and behavior modification as needed.
- Assist with setting up cooking stations for members and oversee clean up exercises.
- Education, Food Administration, Health and Fitness, Business, Psychology, English, and other highly relevant majors/backgrounds are encouraged to apply
- Interest in pursuing a career working with or instructing youth
- Commit to sharing knowledge and contributing to youth and community development
- Knowledge of food preparation and safety standards is a plus but not a requirement
- Familiarity with health and nutrition concepts is ideal
Our volunteer needs
We need volunteers who are free at these times