Volunteer opportunity description
Are you interested in finding a way to meaningfully engage with the New York nonprofit community?
BoardAssist, New York’s leading personalized nonprofit board matching service, and NYC Service, Mayor Bloomberg’s comprehensive program to engage more New Yorkers in volunteer service, are pleased to announce our partnership on a new innovative program designed to develop stronger boards across the city while giving New Yorkers an opportunity to join boards on a unique level. We will be passively recruiting participants for this program. Please continue filling out the application along with the supplemental documents described below.
The Board Leadership Development Program provides a simplified but efficient way for high impact New Yorkers to join a board. We hope to identify outstanding New Yorkers, interested in devoting a year to learning about the latest trends in successful social entrepreneurship, strategic charitable giving, and nonprofit governance practices, while supporting the work of nonprofits.
As a participant in this program, you will have the chance to connect and network with the City’s pioneering philanthropists and successful nonprofit leaders, while applying your knowledge and leadership skills in a real and substantive way immediately.
More specifically, through the program, we will:
1. Offer personalized board matching to participants so they can contribute their substantial talents and truly engage from day one.
2. Invite participants to bi-monthly events where they will have a chance to meet and learn from our City’s top grant makers, board members, and nonprofit leaders; the ground-breaking social entrepreneurs whose ideas are revolutionizing the nonprofit sector.
3. Induct participants into a selective group of future nonprofit board leaders who will take the lessons learned during this year back to their boards, and remain connected to each other, for support and expertise.
We invite you to be a trailblazer and become part of
The Board Leadership Development Program!
If you’re serious about putting your philanthropic time and money to its absolute highest and best use, being a Program participant offers an unparalleled opportunity to do just that.
Who can apply?
Applicants must have 10 years post college work experience and be willing to commit to a give/get of $5000 a year to the nonprofit board they join.
This number is made up of two pieces: what you personally give, also known as “the give” and what you generate from others, known as “the get”. Nonprofits are flexible when it comes to determining how you reach your total give/get is, as long as the net number is in line with the expected commitment.
What if I am already serving on a board, do I have to join another board through BoardAssist?
Yes, all program participants are required to join a board through BoardAssist by program launch.
Tell me more about the bimonthly special events I will be invited to.
Participants will have the unique opportunity to meet behind-the-scenes with grant makers from leading foundations, discuss exciting new nonprofit initiatives underway with the Mayor (subject to his availability), and get to know some of our city’s most influential, game-changing philanthropists, social entrepreneurs and nonprofit leaders. Activities will be held in venues ranging from the Standard Hotel to Gracie Mansion.
How do I apply?
It’s easy. Please send your resume, and a cover letter (of 250-500 words) telling us why you would like to be a part of this program, to email@example.com. Then fill out the BoardAssist New Candidate Application online.
Accepted applicants will be announced prior to program launch. (Please note: Applicants who are not offered a spot in the program will still be offered the no-fee services of BoardAssist to find a nonprofit board seat, if interested.)
What are the program requirements?
1. Applicants must commit to serve one year from program start date.
2. Applicants must commit to join a nonprofit board through BoardAssist by May 1, 2013, with the intention of serving on this board for at least 3-5 years.
3. Applicants must also commit to attend at least 4 of the 6 special-access events sponsored by BoardAssist and NYC Service.
Our volunteer needs
We need volunteers who are free at these times