Volunteer opportunity description
NYC Service is working with the Office of Emergency Management (OEM) to recruit a group of volunteers to staff Commodity Distribution Points (CDP) in times of emergency. As seen with Super Storm Sandy, it is imperative to have a group of volunteers to deploy in times of need. Volunteers would help coordinate the distribution of essential items like food, water, and blankets to the community.
- Distribution – work in the Commodity Distribution Area passing out food, water, and other commodities to the public.
- Flow Monitor – support the safe and efficient movement of the public through the site and disseminate accurate operational and distribution information to the public.
- Commodity Organization - assist with the organization of commodities in the Commodity Storage Area and Commodity Distribution Area.
- Inventory Tracking - assist with inspection, inventory, and recording of arriving supplies and equipment in the Commodity Off-Loading Area.
- Other tasks at CDP sites, as needed, at time of event.
Once volunteers complete a CDP training through OEM, they will be added to the Time-of-Event CDP Volunteer Contact List. To sign up as a Commodity Distribution Point EmergeNYC volunteer and receive the training, please fill out this survey with your most up-to-date contact information
1. Commitment to assisting New Yorkers during an emergency
2. Ability to be on feet for hours at a time
3. Ability to be flexible and adapt to changing situations
4. Multi-language ability a plus
Our volunteer needs
We need volunteers who are free at these times