This opportunity has expired.
Volunteer opportunity description
As seen with Hurricanes Irene and Sandy, one can never be too prepared. NYC Service partners with NYC Emergency Management (NYCEM) to recruit New Yorkers who can assist the public and our first responders in case of an emergency. Volunteer positions available are Commodity Distribution Points (CDP) volunteers.
Commodity Distribution Point Volunteer (CDP)
CDP volunteers help coordinate the distribution of essential items like food, water, and blankets to the community in time of an emergency. It is imperative to have a group of volunteers to deploy in times of need.
1. Complete NYCEM in-person CDP training session.
2. Report to assigned distribution site during emergency activation.
3. Perform any of following tasks:
- Commodity distribution – volunteers will distribute allocated life-sustaining commodities to the public
- Storage and handling – volunteers will off-load delivered resources and store and pre-position them for distribution
- Distribution of information to the public – volunteers will help the public move safely and efficiently through the site and provide distribution information to the public
- Flow Monitor – support the safe and efficient movement of the public through the site and disseminate accurate operational and distribution information to the public
- Inventory Tracking - assist with inspection, inventory, and recording of arriving supplies and equipment in the Commodity Off-Loading Area.
- Other tasks at CDP sites, as needed, at time of event.
Once volunteers complete a CDP training through NYCEM, they will be added to the Time-of-Event CDP Volunteer Contact List. For more information please follow this link to fill out a survey with your most up-to-date contact information. If you are interested in undergoing the one-time, free in-person training, please see the training scheudle below and fill out the registration form.
2016 Training Schedule
Date/Time: Thursday, April 21st 6:30pm-8:30pm
Thursday, July 21st 6:30pm-8:30pm
Thursday, October 20th 6:30pm-8:30pm
Thursday, December 15th 6:30pm-8:30pm
Location: NYC Emergency Management, 165 Cadman Plaza E, Brooklyn, NY 11201
1. Commitment to assisting New Yorkers during an emergency
2. Ability to be on feet for hours at a time
3. Ability to be flexible and adapt to changing situations
4. Multi-language ability a plus
Our volunteer needs
We need volunteers who are free at these times