Volunteer opportunity description
Thank you for contacting New York Cares about our Children’s Recreation projects. Sports and fitness projects keep children healthy and active, arts and culture projects help them discover their creativity, and recreational outings expose them to the unique activities and culture of New York City.
• Sports Explorers -- Foster self-confidence and team-building skills through sports such as tennis, basketball, and soccer, or engage children in other physical activities like gymnastics, yoga, and dance.
• Urban Adventures -- Open up a new world for children by taking them on outings around the city. Go bowling, canoeing, apple picking, wall climbing or visit museums, the zoo, the aquarium, or even the circus.
• Art Explorers -- Expose children to the arts, such as theater, music, dance, video, photography, and more with this innovative program that uses games and art projects to promote positive self-esteem, team building, and communication skills.
• Culinary Explorers -- Share your culinary enthusiasm and foster healthy eating habits by introducing children to the basics of nutrition and food preparation.
• Study Now, Play Later -- Work with students to develop educational fundamentals through reading, writing, and crafts before rewarding them with fun physical activities.
• Play and Read -- Play games and read stories with children, providing them with quality one-on-one time with a caring mentor.
Before you can volunteer on a New York Cares project, you must attend a one-hour orientation. After that, you can choose from hundreds of flexibly scheduled volunteer projects every month. You can register online for an orientation by following the links on our web site (www.newyorkcares.org). You will be asked to create an account and then to choose a date for your orientation session. At this session you will receive information on hundreds of regular volunteering projects in New York and instructions on how to register for projects using our website. I hope to see you at one soon!
Volunteers must be 18 years of age or older.
Our volunteer needs
We need volunteers who are free at these times